“Don’t bend; don’t water it down; don’t try to make it logical; don’t edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly.”
― Franz Kafka
Everyone has lied, myself included. Humans have the strange tendency to cushion the truth, avoid confrontation or straight up say something different than how they feel. I haven’t met very many people, if any, who let others in on their uncensored voice of reason.
Here are a few things I’ve learned this past year about honesty:
- The people who feel the need to proclaim they are honest are the biggest liars of all. If you do the best you can to be truthful, you shouldn’t have to prove it.
- Instead of waiting around for an answer to be resolved, communicate! If someone can’t handle your voice, they aren’t worth your time. Even if you don’t like what you hear, a weight will be lifted when you know.
- And here’s the other side of it: be upfront with people and don’t make them wait. If you’re feeling something, express it. If it back fires, at least you’ll know.
- Everyone exaggerates, but try and avoid extremes. The closer you remain to what you remember, the more others can relate.
- If you’ve lied to someone it pays to make it right. If you get caught in a lie, trust is forever severed. If you go ahead and rectify the situation the relationship may be bruised, but at least the trust associated with coming forth will be there.
- There’s a reason it’s been said: actions speak louder than words. Someone will get the vibe regardless of what you say, so say it!
- Lying to oneself is the worst choice of all. The mind is a powerful thing. Like all beings, there’s a reason we have instinct and desire. Don’t convince yourself of an untruth. Listen as best you can to your inner guide.
I know people will keep lying long after this blog is posted, but let’s all do the best we can to be true to ourselves. Each experience is unique to the individual. The further one gets from authenticity, the more shallow a life becomes. Accept your flaws, tell yourself you’re beautiful(because you are) and strive to make each day better than the last. Let’s set a foundation for change, growth and the road to gratitude. Trim the bullshit and fly towards freedom!
I love and appreciate you all! I hope to never take your support for granted.